3 Questions to Ask When Injured on Someone Else’s Property

2016-11-17 (1).jpgYou never saw it coming: a crumbling spot in the sidewalk or a wet tile floor sent you falling. A trip to the hospital confirmed a broken arm or perhaps a concussion. Now the medical bills and missed days of work are taking a toll. If you’ve been injured due to hazardous conditions on someone else’s property, you may be wondering if you can file a premises liability lawsuit.

3 Crucial Questions

Attorneys consider these three questions when looking at possible premises liability cases:

  • Did the property owner know or should they have reasonably known about the unsafe condition that caused your injury?
  • Did the property owner warn you or the public in any way about known hazards or risks?
  • Who is responsible for property repairs? Liable parties may include the property owner, a property manager, the parent corporation of a business, or a maintenance company.


Were You Invited?

South Carolina premises liability law stipulates three categories of visitors:

  • Invitees (business guests, such as customers at a restaurant)
  • Licensees (social visitors, such as partygoers or dinner guests)
  • Trespassers (people who enter a property without permission)

If you were injured on property where you were invited, you may have a case. If you were trespassing on someone else’s property without permission, you probably will not be able to pursue a premises liability case.


Types of Premises Liability

In addition to slips and falls, other types of premises liability cases include injury due to inadequate security, inadequate lighting, or dog bites.


Schedule a Consultation Today

If you have suffered a broken bone, head injury, laceration, or other injury due to unsafe conditions on someone else’s property, contact the premises and personal injury law team at David Blackwell Law today. Our attorneys will determine the details of your case, review any settlement offers, and take your case to court if a fair settlement cannot be reached.

Call 803-285-0255 to schedule your convenient and confidential consultation today.